- Open Clinical Trials
- Closed Clinical Trials
- 2022-2026 Research Strategy
- Research Achievements
- Research Development and Funding
- BCT Trials & Projects Summary
- Clinical Fellowship Program
- International Fellowship Support
- Translational Research
- What is a Clinical Trial?
- Why Participate in a Clinical Trial?
- Research Blog
- Participating Institutions
- International Collaboration
- Annual Scientific Meeting
- Travel Grants and Awards
- Our Impact
- Researcher Login
Who are the Consumer Advisory Panel?
The Breast Cancer trials (BCT) Board of Directors established the Consumer Advisory Panel (CAP) in 1998 because it recognised the value and importance of consumer input to the planning and conduct of clinical trials research. Today, CAP has seven members from Australia and New Zealand who are committed to the BCT research program and its potential to benefit all women diagnosed with breast cancer, and those at risk. The CAP is chaired by Ms Leslie Gilham.
The input and sights provide by CAP members, some of whom have participated in one of our clinical trials, are integral to the research program of BCT. CAP members are members of the Scientific Advisory Committee (SAC) and its subcommittees helping ensure a consumer perspective is provided from the very early planning stage of clinical trials developed by BCT.
All protocols and relevant research documents, particularly patient information, and consent forms, are reviewed by CAP members who are also staunch lobbyists for Quality-of-Life assessments in appropriate clinical trials. Communication is open between CAP members and researchers resulting in improved patient materials providing more clarity and understanding for potential new clinical trial participants.
CAP members bring their own unique experience of breast cancer, networks, professional skills, advocacy experience and a true commitment to the clinical trials research process. Members participate on BCT committees, represent BCT on external committees and independently contribute to many breast cancer advocacy, research, fundraising and support initiatives.
CAP aims to:
- Advocate for women who may be participating, or who have participated, in breast cancer clinical trials.
- Provide BCT with a consumer perspective on relevant issues about clinical trials including recruitment, patient information for informed consent, new trial protocols and ethical issues.
- Raise community awareness of breast cancer clinical trials and research.
- Represent consumer views on behalf of BCT in government, community, consumer and research forums to promote the importance of clinical trials research.
CAP is chaired by Ms Leslie Gilham, a passionate advocate for clinical trials, and a participant in the TEXT clinical trial. She became chair of CAP in 2018 and is an Associate Investigator on a number of clinical trials and research projects throughout Australia & New Zealand. She is a member of the BIG 3-07 / TROG 07.01 DCIS Steering Committee, a member of the Breast International Group Patient Partnership Initiative, the Roche Global Breast Cancer Council and an advisor to the TILs International Working Group.
Current CAP members include:
- Leslie Gilham, Chair
- Karen Alexander
- Melissa Bell
- Merryn Carter
- Rebecca Angus
- Naveena Nekkalapudi
- Emma Crowley
- Laura McCambridge